Starting at Tegernsee we will cross the Alps and finish at Lake Garda six days later. First of all let's have a look at the elevation profile, before we go on. Are you very curious how we survived our mountain bike adventures? You may better see the photos first ...
- Tegernsee to Stans (Tyrol) (Sept. 1, 2003). After an overnight stay at the Hotel Stufer Hof in Tegernsee we meet our co-travellers at the Wallbergbahn, a cable car in Rottach-Egern. We head towards Enterrottach, go up to the Monialm, an Alpine pasture, cross the border to Austria, and have a break at Erzherzog-Johann-Klause. Along a small river called Brandenberger Ache we ride to have a lunch break at the Kaiserhaus (i.e. the Emperor's House). In the afternoon we pass Pinnegg and Aschau, before we go down to Kramsach in the Inn Valley, then to Muenster, Wiesing, Jenbach, Tratzberg Castle and finally Stans (Tyrol). (Distance: approx. 65 km, elevation gain: more than 1000 m)
- Stans to Noesslach (Sept. 2, 2003). We commence our tour at the Hotel Brandstetter Hof after breakfast. From Stans we ride along the River Inn to Schwaz and Wattens. We pass Friedberg Castle going uphill to Tulfes, Rinn, and Patsch. On the old Roman road we bike to Pfons on the East side of the Brenner Valley. Finally, passing Matrei and Steinach before the day ends in Noesslach after a steep hill-climb. Today's finish is at the Hotel Humler. (Distance: 64 km, elevation gain: 1450 m)
- Noesslach to Schoppelhof (Sept. 3, 2003). The major stage lies ahead today ... Starting in Noesslach we pass Vinaders and head up to the Brenner Pass (Passo di Brennero). A relaxing coffee break in Sterzing (Vipiteno) gives us new strength. We pass Franzensfeste (Fortezza) to reach Brixen (Bressanone) for lunch. Going uphill into the direction of Würzjoch (Passo delle Erbe) we reach a top altitude of appr. 1700 m. A short downhill and we finish at the Schoppelhof, a guest house. (Distance: 90 km, elevation gain: 1650 m)
- Schoppelhof to Panider Sattel (Sept. 4, 2003). An early morning downhill into the Villnoess Valley takes us to St. Peter. After a short time we take a cappuccino in Gufidaun, a small village. We pass Freins and stop for lunch in Lajen. Now we are in Val Gardena (the Groedner Valley). We follow to St. Peter and St. Ulrich. A steep road takes us to our hotel at the top of Passo Pinei (Panider Sattel). (Distance: 45 km, elevation gain: 1100 m)
- Panider Sattel to Kurtatsch (Sept. 5, 2003). The day begins at the Hotel Panider Sattel. We pass Kastelruth (Castelrotto), Seis and Voels and reach Bozen (Bolzano) for a coffee break. Along the River Etsch (Adige) we leave the town going southward to Sigmundskron Castle (Castel Firmiano). Up to Girlan and along we go to the Montiggler Lakes (Laghi di Monticolo). After lunch there is enough time for a swim. The afternoon leads us past Lake Caldaro (Kalterer See) and further on through Tramin (Termeno sulla strada del vino). On a graveled path we gain elevation and finish at the House Pomello in Kurtatsch (Cortaccia). (Distance: 72 km, elevation gain: 800 m, sometimes with a gradient of more than 20 %)
- Von Kurtatsch nach Torbole (Sept. 6, 2003). A speedy cycle track eases our way from Kurtatsch (Cortaccio) to the South. Along the River Etsch (Adige) we reach Trento for a break. A short time later we arrive at Rovereto. Through Mori and across Passo San Giovanni we finish in Torbole in the early afternoon. (Distance: appr. 90 km, elevation gain: 200 m)
- Epilogue. After an extensive and delicious breakfast the Fahrtwind shuttle takes us back to the starting point the next morning. Four hours later we get our luggage off the bus and into the car to find our way home ...
Proceed to see the photos -->